Vocabulary ESL Quiz – MCQ 08. Learning a new language can be challenging, especially when it comes to acquiring a vast amount of vocabulary. In English as a Second Language (ESL) classes, vocabulary quizzes are a common assessment tool used to measure a student’s progress in learning English words and phrases. A vocabulary quiz typically consists of matching, multiple-choice, or fill-in-the-blank questions that test a student’s understanding and usage of new words.
Vocabulary ESL Quiz – MCQ 08
Vocabulary quizzes are a crucial component of ESL instruction as they help students to build their vocabulary, measure their progress, encourage active learning, enhance their reading and writing skills, and improve their communication skills.
Note: These questions' source is BBC Learning English.
Let’s get started and see how well you can do on this Vocabulary ESL Quiz!
#1. Sarah was __________ the person sitting next to her; we couldn't hear exactly what she was saying, but it sounded like she was complaining about something.
#2. Her opinion of me is not important, in fact, I __________ what she thinks about anything.
#3. James couldn't concentrate on his work that day, he could only think of his girlfriend. He spent the whole morning __________ thought.
#4. Don't __________ with that, it's just not worth thinking about.
#5. All your suggestions will be carefully __________ before we come to a decision.
#6. __________ I shouldn't have told her, should I? I thought she already knew!
#7. __________! I've just missed the last bus. I'll have to walk home.
#8. I can hear a __________ noise, but I can't see the bee that must be making it.
#9. Our dog __________ every time the postman delivers letters to our house.
#10. __________ that really hurt!
#11. The geese __________ at us angrily when we walked past them. It was quite frightening!
#12. __________! They've only known each other for two weeks and they're getting married already!
#13. 'Look at me when I'm talking to you!' __________ John suddenly.
#14. Do you believe __________ ghosts?
#15. __________ this tastes disgusting, I can't eat any more of it!
#16. __________! I think that's a great idea, let's do it!
#17. After careful __________ on the pros and cons, she decided to go ahead and do it.
#18. John _________ his answer nervously when she asked him to say what he honestly thought.
Important of Vocabulary ESL Quiz
The importance of vocabulary quizzes in ESL classes cannot be overstated. Here are some reasons why:
- Building Vocabulary: Vocabulary quizzes are an essential tool for building a student’s vocabulary. Through consistent assessment, students can see how much they have learned and identify areas where they need to focus more on.
- Measuring Progress: Vocabulary quizzes are a great way to measure a student’s progress over time. Teachers can use quiz scores to identify areas where students are struggling and provide targeted feedback to help them improve.
- Encouraging Active Learning: Vocabulary quizzes encourage students to actively learn new words and phrases. As they study and prepare for quizzes, they are more likely to retain the information and be able to use it in real-life situations.
- Enhancing Reading and Writing Skills: A robust vocabulary is essential for good reading and writing skills. Vocabulary quizzes help students identify words they may not have encountered before, and in turn, can help them become better readers and writers.
- Improving Communication: Vocabulary quizzes help students improve their communication skills. As they become more proficient in using new words and phrases, they are better equipped to communicate effectively with others.
Vocabulary ESL Quiz – MCQ 08
In conclusion, vocabulary quizzes are a vital tool in ESL classes, helping students build their vocabulary, measure their progress, encourage active learning, enhance their reading and writing skills, and improve their communication skills. Teachers should continue to use vocabulary quizzes as an effective tool to help students learn and master the English language. Students should embrace these quizzes and use them as a tool to help them become proficient English speakers.